Baked "Fried" Green Tomatoes (vegan and gluten-free)
So, I have a confession to make... About ten days ago, I saw some green tomatoes in our garden and decided to indulge my yearly craving for fried green tomatoes. Sure, I used better ingredients than most who deep-fry, but still. Not so healthy. Lots of oil and calories up in those maters!!
And here's what I found most interesting, and made the whole experience worthwhile: I found that, as I ate the first few fried tomatoes, that I really wasn't enjoying them all that much. Maybe I've finally lost my taste for fried foods, which would actually be a very good thing! But whatever the case, I felt instantly inspired to create a lighter version of this dish.
For the past few years, I've gotten really into the concept of breaded "fried" foods that are actually baked (or even dehydrated). When done properly, it's amazing how little oil we actually need to use in order to achieve that yummy, crunchy texture and taste! So, without further delay, here is my recipe for a baked version of these babies. And yeah, what could be better than tart, juicy, crunchy baked green tomatoes? Aside from things like love and world peace and snuggly kitties, not a whole lot.
2 large green (unripe) tomatoes
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon onion granules (granulated onion, often labeled as "onion powder")
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup nondairy milk (plain and unsweetened)
Oil spray (I use olive oil in my Misto, but you can use any neutral-flavored oil spray)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
2. Slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices.
3. Combine the cornmeal, seasoned salt, onion granules, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir well to thoroughly combine. Place the milk in another bowl and set aside.
4. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
5. Begin your happy little production line: Dip your tomatoes in the milk, then coat lightly with the cornmeal mixture (both sides). Place on the baking sheet.
6. Spray the tops with the oil and place in the oven.
7. After 10 minutes, flip over and spray with the oil again. Bake another 10 minutes. Flip and spray one last time and bake a final 10 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.