Fresh Almond Milk Made Easy

Fresh almond milk!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!

Yes, it's that exciting, trust me. Why is it that a simple concoction should yield such explosive excitement? Well, for starters, it's extremely nutritious. Almonds are the most alkalizing of all nuts - they're also rich in healthy fats and other nutrients that keep our skin and hair healthy and glowing. Almond milk, made fresh, is also very affordable and ridiculously easy to make.

Homemade almond milk is minimally processed and is environmentally-friendly as it doesn't require you to buy excess packaging - I store mine in reusable glass containers. It also happens to look so lovely in all its white, creamy glory, sitting in your fridge! Just looking at freshly made almond milk in my fridge gives me waves of happiness. Yeah, I'm actually serious. : )

1. First, you start with one cup of raw, organic almonds. You then have two options with which to proceed. You can either soak the almonds in water for several hours (or overnight) or simply proceed to step two.



2. Place the almonds in a blender or Vitamix with just enough water so that your blender will cooperate. Blend the almonds and water together really well. Like, really, really....really well. Then, maybe blend again.



3. Next, add 3-4 cups of water, depending on how creamy you want your milk to be. The less water you add, the richer, creamier, and more ridiculously awesome your milk will be. The more water you add, the lower in fat and calories - plus, it will stretch further. In fact, you can even add 5 cups of water if you're like me and have an almond milk vacuum in your house (my 8-yr-old daughter goes through a batch of this every few days!!!). So, choose your potion and BLEND. Blend well, my friend.



4. Next, you'll need a fine mesh strainer, spoon (soup spoons work great), and wide-mouth container.

5. Pour the almond milk through the strainer into the container to remove the pulp. My daughter totally loves doing this and begs to "un-pulp the milk."


6. You will have to do this in a few batches. Once the strainer is full, use your spoon to smoosh down the pulp that's in the strainer so that you get all the milk out of it.



7. Rinse the pulp from your strainer and spoon and keep straining til all your milk is "un-pulped." Well, friends, there you have it!! THAT IS IT. You now have some seriously awesome almond milk to set your fridge aglow. Personally, I don't add anything to it, but you might enjoy some of the following additions: a pinch of salt, tablespoon of vanilla, and/or a squirt of stevia (or other natural sweetener).

8. Enjoy!!! Here's one of my favorite ways to enjoy almond milk - this is a bowl of rolled oats, rolled quinoa, and amaranth, topped with fresh almond milk, cinnamon,  and coconut sugar. BLISS.


This recipe makes about one quart of almond milk, depending on the amount of water that you use.
GF/SF/Blue (according to the health guidelines in my books)

16 comments:

  1. I've been making almond milk for about a month and I go through it as fast as your daughter! I usually put a couple dates in with the almonds. I've been using a nut milk bag, have you tried one and prefer the strainer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your breakfast cereal sounds good. I've never tried quinoa flakes. Do you cook it in the pressure cooker? How much water to grain and what ratio of oats, quinoa flakes and amaranth do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,

    I've never tried a nut milk bag, but from what I know I do prefer the strainer.

    As far as the cereal: I buy rolled quinoa from a local health food store and the mixture cooks up very fast in just a normal pan. I think the ratio is in the ballpark of 60% rolled oats, 30% rolled quinoa, and 10% whole amaranth. I use double that amount of water, toss in some raisins, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'll give the cereal a try when I pick up some Quinoa flakes.

    I've been making your "Maca My Day" smoothie. Really good and I don't usually like banana in smoothies! Today I added some carob and didn't taste the little bit of bitter from the Maca. Do you notice a slight bitter taste or is it just me? Anyway the smoothie is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth,

    Maca does have a strong taste...That's why I don't use too much in any given recipe. However, I'm not sure I'd call it bitter. It makes me wonder if you got a not so good batch of maca?? I usually buy the Foods Alive brand & it's very MACA tasting, but not really bitter unless you use too much. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought Nativas brand. I really like that smoothie, made it again today, but I might just try a little less than the tablespoon of Maca called for in that small smoothie. What else do you like to add Maca to besides smoothies and cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, I use maca mostly in smoothies and raw cookies, but I also have some recipes for sauces, etc. in my latest book (Radiance 4 Life). My favorite is a superfood chocolate sauce in there that is to die for...or actually, to live for! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made the chocolate sauce today, intense and delicious! Definitely satifies a chocolate craving! Wish I had some fresh organic strawberries for dipping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tonight I made peanut butter ice cream, coconut milk, pb, brn sugar, vanilla and salt. Topped it with a drizzle of your maca chocolate sauce, yum! I am really starting to love maca.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tess, do you have any recipes using coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope, I don't. Basically, I love coconut but I also don't want to make my readers buy 80 million different things to make my recipes! So I try to keep it somewhat simple. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand wanting to keep it simple, but I love learning about new foods and how to use them. Today, for the first time, I ate adzuki beans cooked in the pressure cooker, they are really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the spent pulp can be made into pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah adzuki beans the most yang of beans. I was experimenting with an alternative recipe for vegan brownies over the holidays and the fresh, sweet and nutty taste of the adzuki's was really good SO much going on flavor wise. You reminded me not to forget to make them Awesome ..... getting close ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i just made almond milk for the first time ever, and i feel like a super hero! :) thank you, thank you, thank you for making it so simple! okay, here is my thing - i don't like to waste anything - so, what do i do with the pulp? i'm thinking some kind of candy or sweet is in order, but i'm not clever enough about those things to figure out how to do it. any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for your comments!! : )

    Hmm...how to use the pulp? Good question! Personally, I mix it with nutritional yeast, bread crumbs, veggies, spices, etc. for a burger patty. You can also use it topically as a skin scrub. OR make the almond pulp into cookies! (although I haven't tried that one...)

    ReplyDelete