Ten Reasons to Keep Cold Brown Rice on Hand



Yeah, so this is pretty much my new thing. I am so in love with opening up my fridge when I'm crunched for time and seeing comforting, nutritious, versatile brown rice all ready to become lunch! It's such a time saver and it ensures I'll be eating well for the week. To keep rice on hand, simply cook up either short grain or long grain brown rice and then store in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for about a week.

Here are my top ten ways to use leftover rice:

1. Put some brown rice alongside your beans and veggies for a quick, filling, nutrient-dense burrito. Top with guacamole for extra lovins.

2. Make veggie fried rice. My favorite ingredients for this quick dish include green onions, sliced shiitake mushrooms, edamame, corn, tamari, toasted sesame oil, and garlic. Simply stir-fry in a wok or large skillet and you'll have dinner in five. YUM.

3. Yummy bean fritters! My new obsession is cajun chickpea fritters. I just mash up chickpeas and add cooked brown rice, cajun seasoning, garlic, minced onions, lemon, and sea salt. Healthy, snacky heaven.

4. If it happens to be short grain brown rice you've got on hand, you can make veggie sushi! Here's my how-to video on making Uramaki Zushi (could that please be any more fun to say??). My fave fillings for veggie sushi are avocado, asparagus (hello, tempura!), pickled ginger, carrots, cucumbers, and toasted sesame seeds.

5. You can make a soothing hot cinnamon raisin breakfast with brown rice - simply warm the rice with raisins, almond milk, cinnamon, and a bit of natural sweetener if desired. Ahhhh....

6. Make soup into a hearty meal by pouring it over warmed brown rice. My favorite soups to do this with are my Lickety Split Pea Soup (from Radiance 4 Life) and Green Chili Potato Garlic Soup. Hummina hummina!

7. Make a delish cold rice salad! You can do a southwestern version (black beans, cumin, garlic, onions, corn, etc.), a Japanese version (umeboshi plum paste, ginger, carrots, scallions, red cabbage, etc.), or an Asian version (toasted sesame oil, sesame seeds, brown rice vinegar, veggies, etc.). You get the idea - lots of fun options!

8. Make a yummy, hearty rice bowl. I like to top brown rice with pan-fried tofu, fresh and also sauteed veggies, then pour some yummy gravy (such as my Scrumptious Shiitake Gravy) on top. Yeah babay!!

9. Pair warmed leftover rice with a quick stir-fry for a healthy, veggie-packed meal that will leave you feeling great! For extra awesomeness, drizzle with some of my insane peanut sauce.

10. Bragging rights - who doesn't want to say they have brown rice on hand at all times? Trust me, you want to look this cool.

So, those are my top ten rice reasons...what do YOU like to use your leftover brown rice for??






2 comments:

  1. MEGA!!!! I'm using these ideas, thank you very much I love it, specially the hot cinnamon breaki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your article..nice post..thanks

    windward dentist

    ReplyDelete