Photo by Janet Malowany
Superfood Ice Cream
Imagine a creamy dreamy soft serve ice cream that's totally devoid of anything bad, and chock-full of everything good. You're welcome.
Bananas are a premium source of potassium, and cacao nibs are one of nature's best (and most delicious!) antioxidant-rich whole foods. Oh! And for those of you who aren't familiar with maca, it's a butterscotchy-tasting root that can be purchased in most health food stores in a raw, powdered form. I love it not only for the flavor, but also because it's incredibly health-boosting, energizing, strengthening, and vitalizing. I have several maca recipes in my third book, but am constantly experimenting with it to find even more yummy ways to use it! Mmmmmmaca. Enjoy!
- 2 cups frozen banana chunks (frozen for at least 12 hours, using very ripe bananas)
- ¼ cup (or less) almond milk - just enough so that your mixture will blend
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tablespoon maca powder
- dash ground nutmeg
- Add last: 2 teaspoons raw cacao nibs
- In a food processor with an S-blade, place all of the ingredients, except for the nutmeg and cacao nibs.
- Blend until smooth and creamiliscious (it's a word), using just enough of the almond milk so that your mixture blends up well.
- Serve immediately, dusted with nutmeg and topped with the cacao nibs.
GF/SF/Raw/Green (according to the health guidelines in my books)