Raw Rosemary Sweet Potato Chips

Greetings, friends! I hope your August is off to a healthy, happy start thus far! I'm doing more travels this month and wanted to get a head start on some healthy snacks this week, so I've been using my food dehydrator (the Excalibur 9-tray) to make zucchini chips, kale chips (Bold Lime Kale Crunchers from Radiance 4 Life), dried mango, and these! I love that these chips are raw, tasty, and chock-full of beta-carotene.

I've been asked if you can cook them in the oven by a few people who don't have a food dehydrator. Truth is, I haven't tried. But I'm guessing you could do it if you used the lowest setting on your oven - I would guess they'd take about 15-20 minutes per side (flipping them once) to cook. If you try it, let me know how they come out!

Raw Rosemary Sweet Potato Chips

One large sweet potato, cut into thin slices (I use my mandolin to slice it - so easy & they come out in uniform slices, which helps them "cook" more evenly)
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
4 teaspoons olive oil (the more oil you use, the more crisp your chips will be - if you want crispier chips, use more oil than this - if you want lower fat chips, you can use less oil but the chips will be more chewy)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir well to coat.
2. Place them out flat on food dehydrator sheets...like so:
3. Dry at about 105 F (this is the temperature I use, but I believe you can dry at a maximum of 118 degrees and still maintain the live enzymes) for several hours. This usually takes me 7 hours at 105 degrees.
4. To check for absolute doneness, you can put them in an airtight container and make sure that no beads of moisture appear. If they appear, you will need to dry the chips longer. They will store in an airtight container at room temperature for...a while. I always eat them before they spoil - drying them preserves them so well that I've never had a problem eating them up fast enough!

Makes about 4 cups of chips
GF/SF/Raw/Green (according to the guidelines in my books)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tess. Thanks for the recipe! Are the chips supposed to crunchy like potato chips? Mine are starting to look like yours and they are dry, but they don't crunch like chips yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine,

    It depends on how much oil you use (please see note in the ingredients section)...but even still, mine don't usually turn out crunchy as I don't use a lot of oil. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tess,
    I haven't sent u the pix from the Girl Scout cooking class you gave since they are on my cell phone. I have to be in range, not roaming, to send them. Sooon..
    PS can I check out your yogurt maker when u return?
    Judith

    ReplyDelete