Eating Well On The Road!

Hey friends! Today I leave for a two-week trip - which means all the way from Southwest Colorado to Michigan...and back. I get asked quite often how I stay healthy with all the traveling I do, and this is a great question. It basically boils down to one thing - planning and preparation! Yes, I know, that's two things, technically. But they both start with "P."

SO, what am I taking on this long road trip? I snapped a photo of what'll be going into my cooler today. What you *don't* see are a few items I have yet to pack: 2 bean burritos (one for me, one for the kiddo), fresh spring rolls, kombucha, snacks for the kiddo (nori, dried fruit, popcorn, etc.), water, sun tea, and the makings for pb&j's.

Now, I should also mention...please don't let what's in my cooler scare you! I don't always, always, always eat this healthy. There WILL be a stop for greasy vegan Indian food and a few decadent vegan goodies when I do my Raw Catalonian Kale demo at the Chicago Veggie Fest. But, I find that it's SO important to stay in balance - a few splurges like that don't really bother me, as long as I have a healthy foundation of fresh, organic, vitalizing foods going on! :-)

So enough small talk... Here's the deal:


So, I guess I have some explaining to do, yes? OK, from upper left, clockwise, we have...

1. 4 quarts of crazy vegetable smoothie stuff... I wouldn't recommend this one for the masses! Basically, I wanted to use up all the veggies in my fridge PLUS make sure I was getting enough veggies on the road. SO, I put the following in my Vitamix (in several batches): 6 carrots, 2 beets, 6 stalks of celery, 3 tomatoes, a whole cayenne pepper, some whole lemon, and a ginormous bunch of kale. It's not delicious, but I'll drink it. And don't worry, you won't see it in any of my books til I get it to taste better!! :-)
2. In the tahini jar is some dilly hummus I whipped up. I'll be making hummus-veggie wraps, one of my favorite travel staples. In fact, below that, you can see the tortillas I like to use - they're Alvarado Street sprouted grain tortillas. If you're gluten-free, I recommend the brown rice tortillas.
3. In the glass jar (an old coconut oil jar) to the right are some of my "Raw Cinnamon Rolls." They save me! I love them for travel and on-the-go snacking. I swear, walnuts are magic.
4. To the right of that, also in a glass jar, are some of my chocolate maca energy cookies. You can find the basic recipe in Radiance 4 Life or here on my blog.
5. Then, the meticulously prepared veggies are what you'll see next...carrot "pennies," cucumber slices, and julienne-cut beets. Oh, and some sliced organic dill pickles. These are the happy veggies I'll be putting in my hummus wraps. I'd normally add some sliced onion, but I'm out!
6. At the bottom are some dried apricots and raw rosemary sweet potato chips. Beta-carotene snacking at its finest!
7. In the containers with the blue lids, you'll see my solution to using up the last of the broccoli in the fridge! (I hate to waste good organic food, so before I leave on one of these trips, I'm basically putting a food puzzle together!) So, in those 2 containers is some steamed broccoli, mixed with wild rice, "Chicky Baby Seasoning" (a recipe from my books), and tamari. Super simple, but healthy and good.
8. In the glass container with the red lid is some really yummy raw spread I made. I will double check the recipe soon and post it. It's fantastic! Basically, just a mixture of carrots, celery, sunflower seeds, almonds, & seasonings. It's good road food as it's very portable, yummy, filling, nutrient-dense, and can be eaten with crackers or veggies.
9. Finally, the Quinoa Treasures Bowl is what you see in the plastic (yeah, I know) container. It's a yummy, filling food that's easy to eat with one hand! :-)

So, that's what I have for now...as I said, I'll be making a few stops for vegan goodies as well. Why lie to myself? ;-) But I do make a serious effort to stay as healthy as possible during these trips, so I try to limit the splurges. It's all about the balance! :-)

Thanks so much and stay tuned...I'll be posting more about my adventures in healthy food here and also on Facebook and Twitter. Much Love and Gratitude! xo

3 comments:

  1. This is great! I always have to pack a million things to take trips...let's face it, quick stops off the highway are not very vegan friendly...or health friendly for that matter!

    I like the idea of using up your veggies in a juice/smoothie...for some reason, I never thought of that! Thanks!
    -d

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what you whip up before a trip. How long do you think your juice will last?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Janet, I'm hoping it'll be good for several days at least...it's SO strong tasting from the insane amt. of kale I put in there! So I can only drink 1/2 quart per day. So I guess I'm hoping it will last a week. Fortunately, the nutrients last better this way vs. traditional juicing, as the fiber hasn't been separated out. :-)

    ReplyDelete