For the Love of Sun Tea

Sun tea . . . the words alone are refreshing! We were discussing sun tea yesterday on my facebook page and I promised a few tips on sun tea today. So, being true to my word, I just snapped this photo and wanted to let you in on my favorite sun tea tips and treasures.

First of all, I must explain why I love, love, love sun tea so very much! It may seem a little excessive, but I really do adore the stuff beyond words. Why? Well, first of all, it's a great way to stay hydrated, and to do so in a flavorful way. I try to drink about a gallon of water daily in order to stay energized and keep my body functioning at its best. However, if I instead drink a gallon of sun tea, I'm not only staying hydrated but I'm also loading my body with fantastic superfoods! And it's basically  calorie-free, so there's no limit. Of course, if you do want to sweeten your tea, that's your prerogative. Personally, I like it as is, but if I was in the mood for sweetness, I'd add a few drops of liquid stevia.

So, what's in this particular brew? In a glass gallon jar, I placed the following: two green teabags, a lemon ginger teabag, 2 tablespoons peppermint, 2 tablespoons hibiscus, 2 tablespoons alfalfa leaf, and 2 tablespoons raspberry leaf. I may have tossed in some rosehips too. Why wouldn't I?

If you look towards the bottom of the jar, you'll see a lovely rose color beginning to form. That's from the hibiscus. Ah, hibiscus! Such a fabulous addition. Not only does it turn your tea a gorgeous ruby red, but it just *feels* amazing in the bod. Probably because it's so alkalizing and high in vitamin C. Not sure, but when I drink anything with hibiscus in it, it's like an instant energy and happiness injection. Amazing stuff.

So what's the deal with the other ingredients? Here goes . . .

* Alfalfa leaf: I use this when I'm out of nettles. Which I am. Alfalfa leaf, like nettles, is cleansing, nourishing, neutral in flavor, and immune boosting.

* Green tea: I use organic decaf tea, but I know I can't stop you if you want to use the regular stuff. Besides, no matter what kind of green tea you consume, it's all amazing. Uber-high in antioxidants, many people swear by green tea for keeping them healthy and totally free from illnesses.

* Lemon ginger tea: I have the "Yogi Tea" brand of lemon ginger tea and thought it would make a nice addition to this brew. It did. Lemon and ginger are freaking amazing, as if you didn't know. They are both very alkalizing, nutritious superfoods that we would all do well to consume on a daily basis.

* Raspberry leaf: The leaves of the raspberry plant strengthen the kidneys as well as eyesight. It's also a great tonic for women's systems, especially during pregnancy. But if you're a man, you can still consume this product.

* Rosehips: These little cuties are just everywhere in my neck of the woods. I like to pick them while I'm hiking, and always try to pack my backpack with storage bags just for this purpose. Rosehips are very high in vitamin C and are also alkalizing.

What are some other things that might find their way into my sun tea? I also love nettles, fresh lemon, amaranth leaves, fresh ginger, white tea, blueberry leaf, and dandelion leaf. What's YOUR favorite way to make sun tea??




4 comments:

  1. So this is probably a silly question, but if you don't have tea bags for everything, you can just stick the greens in, and strain later, right?!
    Thanks for all of the good info, Tess!

    We have made our move, so I am hoping to now get back to trying more yummy recipes from your books! yay!
    Jan N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question, actually!!

    I put all my loose herbs in strainers, but yes, you could also just throw em in and then strain when you're done...as long as you have a strainer with a fine mesh. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. one more THANK YOU Tess!! I have forever tried to like tea's but they just did not have enough body for me. Today I went and bought all the ingredients for this (a version of this anyway) it has been in the sun for a few hours and I LOVE IT!!!!! How long do you leave it in the sun?
    PS I think Jan had a good question...I did not have a strainer so I just dumped it all in there so I will deal with it later through a fine mesh...I will have to check into getting some type of loose herb strainer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, another tidbit I forgot to mention! Personally, I leave it in the sun for like 5 hours. But really, just do it until it looks really infused. It kind of depends on how intense the sun is that day. In fact, this time of year, we get sun but it's cool still, so I've even been leaving it out for 7 hours some days. All good! :-)

    ReplyDelete