The Two-Week Wellness Solution)
photo of actual dish taken by Olga Vasiljeva
Ever So Nice Beans and Rice
This dish is hearty, filling, and flavorful. For an extra kick, feel free to add some chopped cayenne, tabasco, or habanero to the bean mixture (so that it cooks with the beans)—or add a dash of hot sauce at the end. Yum!
• Three 15 oz. cans beans (black-eyed peas or black beans are ideal), with juices (not drained)
• 2 teaspoons each: dried oregano, “Chicky Baby Seasoning” (or vegan chicken-style seasoning), and ground cumin
• 2 large bay leaves
• 1 large onion, diced
• 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1 cup long grain brown rice
• 2 cups water
• 2 tablespoons “Chicky Baby Seasoning” (or vegan chicken-style seasoning)
• 2 tablespoons each: fresh lemon juice and minced cilantro
• 5 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed
• Sea salt, to taste
1. In a large pot, combine the beans, oregano, “Chicky Baby Seasoning,” cumin, bay leaves, onion, tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. You’ll want to stir this every 15 minutes or so while it’s cooking.
2. While the beans are doing their deal, rice it up. Place the rice, water, and seasoning in a covered pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. This should time out quite nicely with the beans.
3. Once the beans are done, stir in the lemon juice, cilantro, garlic, and salt. Serve over the cooked rice. If you like, this can also be garnished with additional cilantro, diced onion, and lemon wedges.
Serves 6/GF/SF/Green (according to the health guidelines in my books)