Smoothie Greatness 101: Perfect Frozen Bananas!

For many of you, this may be basic stuff. But I'm always surprised at how many of my fans and readers haven't yet mastered frozen banana perfection. Thus, one of my missions in life.

Why frozen bananas? Well, if done right, they make quick work of a healthy, sustaining smoothie or vegan shake - plus, they eliminate the need for any additional sweeteners. They also lend creaminess and the perfect, thick consistency.

So, without further delay, here's my "recipe" from Radiant Health, Inner Wealth:

Frozen Bananas

This is more of a technique than a recipe, but I’ve heard too many disturbing stories about poor banana freezing methods to leave it out! I like to use very ripe bananas for this purpose. I find that I can always omit added sweeteners from my smoothies and shakes because a really ripe banana lends the perfect amount of sweetness.

Ingredient: bananas (ripe or very ripe)

1. Peel the bananas and discard the peels (not onto the floor).

2. Break into 1 or 2-inch pieces and place in a plastic bag. Leave enough room (don’t overpack the bag) so that the chunks can freeze individually. Seal the bag so that it is airtight.

3. Place in the freezer, laying the bag flat, so that the pieces can spread out and won’t freeze together too much. After they have been frozen for 8-10 hours, they will be ready to use. They will keep for several weeks or longer in the freezer. If, at some point they do freeze together, simply thump the bag on the counter with feigned rage. They will separate out of fear.

Serves: the purpose; 30 minutes or under! GF/SF/Green (according to the guidelines in
my books
):

2 comments:

  1. These recipes may be "basic stuff", but they're awesome. Thanks for posting these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I slice the bananas, lay them out on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and bag them after they are frozen in case I need to use them as a garnish. This prevents them from getting tuck together prior to freezing. A friend taught me this trick while freezing freshly picked berries.

    ReplyDelete