I Was On Death Row!


Yeah, you heard me. I really was on death row this week.

In my dream last night, that is. And yes, I woke up a bit confused - why on earth would I, a mellow and peace-lovin' vegan, be dreaming about getting the electric chair? Well, a peek into a friend's dream interpretation book was quite enlightening. Here's the deal:

According to Jung, dreaming of your own death symbolizes embracing the new and leaving behind the old. Letting go of unhealthy aspects of your former being and reinventing yourself. He considers these dreams to actually be quite positive, as it's a sign of renewal and rebirth.

Cool, yes? I liked it for sure. And just in time for spring! This upcoming season (yeah, I'm a little early) is all about rebirth, renewal, and transformation. So, with that said, I'd like to ask YOU a question . . . What would you like to let go of this spring? What aspects of your being no longer serve you? Who do you REALLY want to be? Sky's the limit.

And yes, spring is also a time for asparagus! So, here's one of my favorite recipes from  Radiant Health, Inner Wealth (which, by the way, is probably what I'd want for my last meal on death row)

Lemon Asparagus Linguine

I once served this to a friend who said he hated asparagus. I’m not sure why he tried this dish, but he couldn’t stop saying: “This is so good! I can’t believe this is asparagus!” over and over. I still laugh, remembering the astounded look on his face. Needless to say, this dish has it all. It’s delectable, nutritious, quick, and impressive! If that’s the kind of situation you like to get yourself into.

1 lb. linguine*
2 slices bread (I use Ezekiel 4:9 bread)*
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ tablespoon dried onion granules
3 cups chopped asparagus (trimmed and chopped into 1½-inch pieces)
¼ cup “Vegetarian ‘Chicken’ Broth” (page 194) or other liquid vegan broth
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup each: extra-virgin olive oil, non-virgin olive oil, and additional vegan broth
8 medium-large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 teaspoons sea salt (or less if you prefer)
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons (packed) finely chopped fresh curly parsley
Zest of 2 organic lemons, chopped (about 1 tablespoon of chopped zest)

1. Begin cooking the linguine according to the instructions on the package.

2. While the noodles cook, you can get the rest of the dish ready. Start by crumbling the bread into a medium skillet. Rub your hands together (with the bread in between them) to create coarse crumbs. Add the 1 tablespoon of oil and onion granules to the pan and stir well to combine. Cook the seasoned crumbs for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until they are golden browned. Remove from heat immediately and set aside in a small bowl.

3. Place the asparagus and the ¼ cup of broth in the skillet and cook over medium-high heat until the asparagus is bright green and crisp tender, about 5 minutes.


4. Place the asparagus in the biggest bowl you can muster up. Add the lemon juice, oils, the other ¼ cup of broth, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, and zest to the big bowl. Stir well to combine with the asparagus.

5. When noodles are al dente, drain them well in a colander or strainer. Add them to the big bowl and combine them well with the asparagus mixture.

6. Just before serving, add the breadcrumbs to the bowl. Stir well and serve immediately. If this is simply too delicious to deal with, you have my permission to pack it in some dry ice and send it my way.

Serves 6-8; 30 minutes or under! GF (with substitutions)/SF/Purple (according to the guidelines in Radiant Health, Inner Wealth)

*If you are gluten intolerant, you may substitute gluten-free noodles and a gluten-free bread.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tess, your dream is kind of funny. I hope that's not insensitive. I mean it in the best way. Coming from someone who just Googled 'how to not dream while sleeping', I have to say I haven't had that one yet (smile). I have similar type dreams though...they are confusing.
    I hope Jung is right. Either way though, your linguine looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no it's not insensitive at all - I thought it was funny too!
    Thanks for your comment, sweetie! :-)

    ReplyDelete