Day One: Asparagus!

I LOVE asparagus. LOVE it. If it were a man, I'd be stalking it. Not that I have any stalking tendencies...it's just that asparagus brings out a wild n crazy abandon in me.

So here are a few of my favorite ideas for using this nutrient-dense veggie:

1. Here's how to magically turn asparagus into Veggie Crack!
2. Steam and toss into a salad with baby greens, sliced strawberries, and toasted almonds. Drizzle with a balsamic vinaigrette.
3. Saute the long spears in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and tamari. Wrap in phyllo dough and brush lightly with olive oil. Bake until the phyllo turns golden. You will be popular if you share.
4. To trim asparagus: Hold the bottom of one spear with your hand. Bend the top over with your other hand. The asparagus spear will snap and break in the exact position that will separate the tender portion from the tough base.
5. My daughter's favorite way to eat asparagus is very, very simple. She likes it sauteed in a little olive oil and tamari until bright green.

Please tune in tomorrow when we'll be talking about the next fruit or veggie that you've asked me about. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying your recipe for salad w/asparagus/strawberries. toasted almonds & greens, for my sweetheart tonite w/ Russian cabbage Borscht from old Moosewoods cookbook. A couple of weeks ago charmed same sweetheart w/ your greens/apple/maple glazed pecans and raspberry vinaigrette from RHIW. He was quite impressed. "I tasted an apple!" He's a health conscious eater but not regular salad eater. We may be changing his mind Thanks

    ReplyDelete