Creamy Adzuki Beans

How often do you hear a resounding response of “yummm!” when serving up a pot of beans? As often as you make this dish, my friend! This is delicious enough to serve to guests, yet simple enough for a casual meal alongside a salad and some bread or rice. Yummmmm…
Recipe from Radiant Health, Inner Wealth.

(photo by Michelle McCluggage)

1½ cups dry adzuki beans
3-inch piece of kombu (see page 252)
2 cups water
½ cup diced onion
2½ teaspoons cumin powder
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
14 oz. can coconut milk

•¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

•2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
•4 medium-large cloves garlic, pressed
•2½ teaspoons sea salt (or less)

Optional Garnish:
•¼ -½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. In a pressure cooker (or a large pot with a tight fitting lid), bring the beans, kombu, water, onion, cumin, tomatoes, and coconut milk to a boil over medium-high heat.

2. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until the beans are tender. In a pressure cooker, this will take about 25-35 minutes. In a regular pot, this will usually take about two hours. Am I selling anyone on the idea of a pressure cooker here? Any pressure cooker executives want to give me some money? Once the beans are tender, remove the kombu and stir in the remaining items (all but the cilantro). Serve plain or garnished with cilantro. Yummmm……

Serves 4-6; GF/SF/Blue

6 comments:

  1. I have everything I need to make this, so I'm gonna. Looks fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this cookbook and the first 3 recipes have been great (Tamarind-Date Chutney, Red Lentils with Spinach and Tamarind and the Black Bean, Cilantro and Apricot Salad). This one also spoke to me as soon as I saw it. Can't wait to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...it was delicious...though I did not use kombu, actually I had no idea what it is but I found out, I should be able to get it here in Germany.
    And yes Tess the pressure cooker executives should give you some money, since I cook so many beans I borrowed the pressure cooker from my Mom to find out if it works for me before I buy one.
    I love your site...you take me further on my nutritional journey...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's kombu? I don't seem to have page 252.

    Thanks,

    VegMomNetwork

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kasandra...
    Oops! That's because I took this straight out of my book, Radiant Health, Inner Wealth.

    OK, here's the scoop: Kombu is a dried sea veggie that I recommend adding to all bean dishes. It brings out flavors, increases digestability, & adds nutrients. You can find it at most health food stores.

    ReplyDelete