Monday, July 26, 2010
Sexy Mexi Salad
* It's a great way to get in lots n lots of veggies, fiber, and nutrients in one fell swoop!
* It will totally fill you up - but with very few calories! And it will keep you going for a long time. Yeah!
* For those of you on my two-week wellness plan, you'll love it! It's "green" and you'll basically fulfill your entire day's veggie requirement just by eating this (if you eat the whole thing yourself like I do, that is)
* It's eaaaaasy. And yummy. You do the math on that one.
* It uses lots of fresh produce items that are in season right now. And what could make for a happier meal than that? Ronald McDonald, say your prayers.
So, without further silliness, here it is....
Sexy Mexi Salad
Crunchy Topping (optional, but fun):
* One small handful of "Guiltless Gourmet" baked chili-lime chips (or other organic low-fat corn chips)
* 1-2 sprouted corn tortillas (If using these, do the following: Cut into 1/2-inch strips, place in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and brush lightly with coconut or olive oil. Sprinkle with fresh lime juice, chili powder, and garlic granules. Bake at 350 F until lightly browned and crisp, about 5-10 minutes. Set aside.)
* One Romaine lettuce heart (about 3 cups of chopped lettuce)
* One ear of corn, kernels removed (no need to cook if fresh and tender)
* 1/3 cup chopped red onion or scallions (green onions)
* 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon coconut oil
* 2 medium zucchinis or yellow summer squash, diced
* Seasoned salt and black pepper
* 1/2 cup black beans, cooked and drained
* Fresh salsa to taste, your favorite brand (I buy mine from a locally owned Mexican restaurant - it's the best I've ever tasted! Very fresh, spicy, and tangy.)
* Optional: 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream or 1/4 avocado, diced
1. To begin, prepare the crunchy topping (if using) and set aside.
2. Place all of the salad items in a very large bowl and set aside.
3. Set a stir-fry pan or wok over medium-high heat and add the teaspoon of coconut oil. Add the zucchini and seasoned salt and pepper to taste. Stir-fry, stirring often, until the zucchini is tender. Add the beans and stir-fry gently, just until heated through. Remove from heat and place on top of the salad.
4. Toss the salad gently and generously with salsa and add the crunchy topping. Finally, top with vegan sour cream or avocado, if using. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Serves 1-2/Green (According to the health guidelines in my books)/SF (Soy-Free without vegan sour cream)/GF (Gluten-Free)
30 Minutes or Under!