Can vegans eat chocolate?

Mmmm, chocolate. Come to mama.

After almost 20 years as a happy, healthy vegan it still surprises me that many people think you can't eat chocolate (let alone primo chocolate!) if you eschew animal products. That myth couldn't be further from the truth. The best chocolate in the world is vegan, in my humble opinion. You have chocolate cake, chocolate pie, chocolate truffles, all manner of raw chocolate goodies, chocolate bars, chocolate "ice cream," and, yes, chocolate shakes. Such as my "Dark Chocolate Shake" from Radiant Health, Inner Wealth.

So here's the recipe. It may be a bit decadent, but I say: All things vegan can be enjoyed in moderation and balance without any damage to your health (ok, aside from really bad stuff like msg and hydrogenated oils). As long as you're focusing the main part of your diet on fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and other whole foods you can have your chocolate and eat it too - guilt free and all. Enjoy!

Photo by Michelle McCluggage





Dark Chocolate Shake

Are you craving the taste of pure chocolate goodness? Want to feel relatively good about indulging in said goodness? Look no further. This shake is delicious, rich, satisfying, and still manages to be good for you.


2 frozen bananas
1-2 cup(s) nondairy milk (unsweetened or regular)*
1 cup nondairy ice cream (vanilla)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons maple syrup (you may omit if using sweetened milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (don’t use artificial vanilla)

Place the bananas and a little of the milk in your blender. Blend until the bananas are smooth. Add all of the other items and just enough of the milk to blend. Serve immediately. This is a chocolate emergency.

Serves 2; 30 minutes or under! GF/SF/Blue (according to the guidelines in Radiant Health, Inner Wealth and The Two-Week Wellness Solution)

*The less liquid you add, the richer and thicker it will be. I give an estimated amount here, as it will depend on your blender and size of the bananas as to how much milk you’ll have to add. Simply start with the lesser amount given, and add a little more at a time until you have just enough liquid to blend with.

7 comments:

  1. WOW.. I will print this out and must try asa.. Sounds YUMMY.. thank you, Marina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some really dark cocoa powder from King Arthur flour the last time I ordered SAF yeast and they had free shipping! It would be great in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks AMAZING!! I can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love chocolate and maple together-this sounds so delicious. And it is odd that most think vegans can't eat chocolate...I think I even read a statement like that on a blog somewhere recently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouth is watering ... tummy is growling ... I WANT THIS NOW! lol

    Thanks for sharing!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent thanks for share, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my problem wth be vegan is the next, I don't like so much meat and eggs, but if you take away from the milk, well this is a war, I can simply leave it, so delicious.

    ReplyDelete