Veggie Crack

Not sure why, but I've been strung out on asparagus lately. I've been making it a certain way, and I tell ya - it's addictive. I can't stop eating it. I bought about 6 pounds of organic asparagus on sale the other day, thinking it might last me a while. But alas, I'm already out and jonesing for more.

But at least this addiction doesn't have any bad side effects! Asparagus, like all vegetables, is low in calories and high in fiber. It's an ideal health and weight loss food and, according to Ayurvedic medicine, is considered tridoshic. This, simply translated, means that it's great for all body types. Asparagus is high in vitamins as well, including the elusive B-vitamins.

This simple, quick preparation has become a standby in my daily dinners - it's so easy to prepare and is insanely delish! Hope you enjoy.

Ingredients:
4 cups chopped asparagus (washed well and trimmed)
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
To taste: garlic granules (or fresh pressed garlic) and seasoned salt

1. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
2. On a nonstick cookie sheet, lay the asparagus out in a single layer. Drizzle the oil on top and sprinkle lightly with the garlic and salt. Shake the pan gently yet thoroughly until the asparagus pieces are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
3. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until very tender and well browned in parts. You may remove it once or twice while it's cooking to shake the pan a bit. Serve immediately.

Serves 1-2/GF/SF/Green (according to the guidelines in Radiant Health, Inner Wealth)

NOTE: I normally minimize the cooking of my foods in order to preserve nutrients and freshness. Like my use of fats, my use of heat is based on this philosophy: "Only use as much as you need for the desired flavor - no more." In this case, the asparagus does well with slightly more cooking. In fact, roasting vegetables (and grilling them) is the only time I cook them past the point of being crisp-tender. It seems to really bring out the flavors to cook them thoroughly when you're roasting and grilling them. However, in a stir-fry or otherwise, feel free to cook for far less time, or serve raw. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Asparagus is kind of like veggie crack-they're so satisfying. I especially love the chubby ones that need a bit of peeling...
    Thanks for the cooking tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. every spring i get on some kind of asparagus kick too! i roast a bunch and then just plop down and eat. so. good!

    p.s.: i haven't had time to update my blog in a while, but i baked my sourdogh bread!! it was so so good! i put it in the freezer so i could have it for a few months. i'm going to bake the 2nd half tomorrow hopefully...mm! thank you again! you are too sweet. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad it turned out for you, Shelby! We've been on a rotation of making ours about every 10 days (storing the starter in the fridge in the meantime). I love the sourness of it!
    :)

    ReplyDelete