Drink Your Way to Radiant Health in 10 Easy Steps!



Today, I was thinking about drinking. No, I wasn't contemplating a run to the bar for a beer and a tequila shot. I was thinking about how important it is to fuel our bodies with the right liquids. We spend so much time focusing on what we eat that we often forget the utter importance of what we drink. Cutting out the less than desirable beverages and making more vitalizing choices will actually go a very long way in ensuring our wellness.




So here are my Top 10 Ways to Drink Your Way to Radiant Health!

1. Water your garden. You are your garden, by the way. And you need to water yourself good and plenty to make sure your health is blooming! Aim for about three quarts of water daily. I know many experts say to drink half your body weight in ounces daily, but that's not quite enough for some. Personally, I tend to drink my whole body weight in ounces each day, which works for me. Find the amount, however, that works for you and be sure to keep up with it. Drinking enough water will keep your digestive system happy as well as prevent dehydration-based fatigue (more common than most people think).

2. Try substituting your daily coffee with some green tea, yerba mate, or kombucha. These teas are uber-high in antioxidants and don't contain many of the health-depleting aspects of coffee.

3. Again with the kombucha...have you tried this stuff? OMG, it's good. Plus, it makes you feel good. You can read my blog for tips on making your own, or try GT Synergy's bottled kombucha - the strawberry, grape, passionberry, and guava are my favorites. And if you're new to kombucha, it's a fermented Chinese tea that's loaded with nutritional benefits. To me, it feels like an instant vitamin shot!

4. Addicted to diet sodas? I used to be, but haven't gone near that crazy junk in over ten years. Aspartame is pure evil in my opinion and should be avoided like the plague! If you must drink diet sodas, search out Zevia. It's natural and sweetened only with stevia (a healthy green plant). I don't like all their flavors, but the cola, cherry, and root beer are all great (when ice cold).

5. Lemon water is my Elvis. It rocks my mornings with its detoxifying, cleansing properties! Try squeezing the juice of 1/2 (or one whole) lemon into some water each morning. It really feels great.

6. Herbal teas are a great way to add a plethora of nutrients to your day. Try making tea with nutrient-rich nettles, alfalfa, mint, and hibiscus.

7. For a great mini-meal, try a super-powered shake or smoothie! Use a base of nondairy milk or unsweetened juice and sweeten with frozen bananas. From there, add fresh or frozen fruits as desired. You can also increase the power factor with some hemp protein powder, flax meal, or powdered greens (such as barley grass or spirulena).

8. Limit or eliminate your alcohol use. By doing so, you'll enjoy heightened clarity, better health, a trimmer waistline, and a fatter wallet!

9. Find a supergreen drink that you love. Many health food stores carry them and a local herbalist (in Pagosa Springs) also makes a great one called "Green Power." Or, wait for my next book (due out this May), which includes a recipe for "Green Radiance." No matter which way you go on this, a green drink powder is great to add to smoothies or simply to stir into water. It will help your system detoxify - plus, it contains loads of chlorophyll, iron, and minerals. This means glowing skin and better health overall for you!

10. I was having trouble coming up with this last one, and just asked my 6-yr-old what a healthy drink might be. Her quick reply was "Veggie juice!" "Good one, you crushy monkey!" I replied. She's right - and although I'm not one of those people who feels the need to whip out my juicer every day, I do feel there's occasionally a real need for fresh veggie juice in my life (especially when my immune system needs a boost). Personally, I love to make a drink from carrots, celery, lots of parsley, organic lemon, and maybe some kale. And although you don't get the benefits of the fiber when juicing, you'll get a super-concentrated vitamin shot that will keep your system smiling all day.

I hope these tips gave you some inspiration on drinking your way to better health! And for more ideas on staying healthy and preventing illnesses before they start, I recommend checking out the Kathleen Show's Prevention Not Prescriptions Tuesdays. She always features great bloggers and cutting edge holistic health topics.

Thanks so much for dropping by - have a healthy, happy day!! xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait until May! I am so looking forward to your next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog very informative. It really gives insight to the readers on how to maintain healthy well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Ann! xoxo

    ReplyDelete