Kombucha Day One

So, tonight was pretty exciting for me. Those who know me well know that I have a big, fat, penchant for anything homemade! I regularly make my own sourdough bread, nondairy milk, sun tea, and soy yogurt - just to name a few.

So, as a kombucha lover (o.k., addict) the chance to make this at home makes me want to do backflips!! In the cosmic fantabulousness that is life, tonight was rather magical. There are two women who live in my town who brew kombucha and have said they'd be willing to share some secrets, as well as give me a starter (mushroom aka scoby).

Well, as fate would have it, tonight they BOTH called and said "Hey, I'm five minutes away from your house and have some kombucha with me. Want to try it?" I said "Hell no, leave me alone!" No, just kidding. I said yes, yes, yes...please! It was so neat to have them both here at the same time, comparing notes, fermenting times, and tasting both of their delicious kombuchas. Full moon magic! (It's a full moon today)

So, I thought it would be fun to do some blogging on how the process is going! They were both kind enough to sample out some of their home brew (both delicious) and show me how to start it. Which is actually pretty darn easy. So, here's what I did tonight:

1. In a gallon sized glass jar, I made enough tea to fill it 90% of the way up. I used green tea, mint, and nettles. And one cup of organic sugar. I added the sugar to the tea while it was hot to let it dissolve. And I used two teaspoons of tea per quart of water.
2. Once the tea has COMPLETELY cooled (they stressed this - don't add your starter to warm or hot tea or you could kill the living fermented goodness!), I'll add the starter (which will account for the other 10% left in my glass gallon-sized jar). Basically, the starter I was given is just a glass jar containing a big scoby (mushroom) and some kombucha.
3. Once the gallon sized jar is filled with both tea and starter, I'll cover it with cloth (or cheesecloth) and rubber band it around the top. It will sit out at room temperature.

From there, I'll let it sit......so stay tuned to see how the rest goes! I'm going to have way too much fun experimenting with different kinds of teas, healthy herbal additions, and fruit extracts and juices! Food nerds like me just don't get any happier.

6 comments:

  1. Totally unrelated, but homemade sourdough bread? Is is whole grain? That needs to be in your next book or magically appear in the old one. Sourdough is terrible in the midwest and always white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, mine is 100% whole wheat! It's SO good too, I think because I got a great starter from someone. Wish you lived closer - I'd set you up! Do you have anyone who could give you a starter? That's the one part I don't know how to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited about this! Please share all you can... Be as specific as possible please... Like your talking to a real dummy :) I LOVE KOMBUCHA but it is sooooo expensive store bought...

    A few questions: Does it matter what tea you start with? Like how you started with green tea... Also are these scoby things easy to acquire? Would you ever try making flavored kombucha? Like say raspberry or grape like I see at the health food store?

    I hope it works for you! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately no. I grew up near San Fransisco and really miss crusty sourdough bread. Everyone I know around here eats white or "wheat" bread. I might have to check around a bit though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, stay tuned as I'll try to update this every day or so! I took pics today which will be on the blog later.
    I will try flavoring it for sure and as far as I know you can use any teas - herbal, black, or green. I just had green around the house so that's what I used.

    Laura: That's why I'm so psyched on the bread! I don't feel good about eating white bread either. I'll bet you could find out how to make your own starter, many people do it. From there, I'd be happy to share the rest of my process. And if you find out how to make a starter let me know & I'll do a blog post on it, and include the rest of my instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I found instructions for making a starter and sources of freezed-dried starter, which is probably what I will use due to time and money constraints. I would love to see the information you have. I've seen recipes for blends of white/whole grain but never 100% whole grain sourdough bread. I really miss good sourdough, white or otherwise, but have made a commitment to eliminating white flour from my diet. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete