Raw Foods and the Funky Chunky Guacamole Wrap

Raw foods - what an exciting and steadily growing phenomenon!

These days, people often ask me if they should be eating a raw foods diet. Many people swear by its healthy effects and the ability of raw foods to nurture and heal the body. Personally, I agree with this completely. I do try to consume lots of fresh, uncooked whole foods. However, I also feel that it's one of those things that works best for me in balance. In my experience, I feel just as good eating a vegan diet based on whole foods (and including lots of fresh, raw vegetables) as I do when I'm eating all raw foods. Still, I always encourage my clients (and anyone else who asks!) to listen to their body. Be your own nutritionist and seek out the foods that feel nourishing and revitalizing to you. And if you do, you'll most likely find yourself wanting to explore more of the exciting, delicious world of raw, living foods!

So, here's a recipe from the raw foods chapter of my book, Radiant Health, Inner Wealth. It's a super-simple and delicious way to enjoy living food cuisine. Plus, it’s satisfying, nourishing, and leaves you feeling light and healthy. Since it requires no special equipment and only takes a few minutes to prepare, it's also a great way to try out a raw foods recipe with very little "committment." Enjoy!


Funky Chunky Guacamole Wrap

Guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
½ cup chopped tomatoes (flavorful tomatoes such as cherry or grape are ideal)
⅓ cup finely minced white, yellow, or red onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
3 tablespoons minced jalapeno (see page 39 for tips)
2 tablespoons each: fresh lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon sea salt

Fillings (use any combination of the following):
Alfalfa sprouts, grated carrots, chopped tomato, minced cilantro, thinly sliced red onion, grated cabbage, and/or sunflower seeds.

Lettuce Wrap Things Up:
6 large lettuce leaves (romaine or red leaf)

Tang It All:
6 fresh lime wedges

1. Begin by making the guacamole. Place the flesh of one avocado in a medium bowl. Mash it well with a fork. Chop the flesh of the other avocado into small or medium sized chunks. Add it to the bowl and gently mix it into the mashed avocado. This will lend you a creamy base, but with lots of funky, chunky avocado pieces remaining. Stir in the additional guacamole items and stir well to combine. Set aside.
2. Prepare the fillings you wish to use and set them aside.
3. Wash and dry your lettuce leaves and remove the tough portion of their stem bases.
4. Spread the guacamole evenly over the middle portion of a lettuce leaf and top it with your desired fillings. If you live life on the tangy side, squeeze a little lime juice over the top.
5. Roll the bottom of the leaf up and over the fillings and then fold the sides in. Roll up like a burrito. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat…and serve.

Serves 4; GF/SF/Blue (according to the guidelines in Radiant Health, Inner Wealth)
30 minutes or under!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Tess, I think you're awesome!! *cue creepy music* Just kidding =) But I think you're right about listening to your body, because the veggies I do like to eat (and you know that's a challenge for me) is usually raw. I rarely want cooked veggies except mushrooms and onions. There must be some reason right? All I know is I'm feeling good and happy to be a part of this world! Thanks for all your great tips =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was more to that comment above (that explained the creepy music comment), but it was left out!! Sorry, moment passed now it won't be funny!! LOL

    ReplyDelete