Guilt-Free Burger & Fries

Today, I spent many hours browsing through several health food stores compiling a list of acceptable foods for my two-week health plan. It was fun! I sipped on a gingerberry kombucha (after one of the laid back employees gave me a thumbs up) and scribbled away in my lil' scrappy notebook.

I was honestly very surprised at how many healthful packaged foods I'd never given the time of day to before! There are lots of whole-foods, vegan, nutrient-dense goodies on the market now...which makes life a lot easier on busy days! One such product I discovered was the "Sunshine Burger." Now, I've actually never tried them, but they looked delish & were the only pre-made burger to be found anywhere that completely passed my strict guidelines (vegan, whole foods, organic, and free from isolated soy products). The recipe for fries I'm going to share is a favorite from my book, "Radiant Health, Inner Wealth." They're baked instead of fried, so you can indulge without sacrificing your health! Plus, they're absolutely scrumptious!

So, here's my idea of a simple, delicious burger and fries meal...which you can enjoy completely free of guilt! Your body, the earth, and the animals will all approve of this satisfying meal. Enjoy!


Burger:
One Sunshine Burger (southwest, barbecue, garden herb, or breakfast)
Whole grain bun & fixin's (ketchup, mustard, Veganaise, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, whatnot)

Oven “Fries”
Believe it or not, these actually taste better than typical French fries! Obviously, they’re a nice change of pace because they are so much lower in fat. However, the unique blend of seasonings make these genuinely scrum-dilly. These are especially popular with children (of all ages).


2 medium potatoes, washed well (skins on)
1 tablespoon oil (olive, coconut, or sunflower)
1 teaspoon organic sugar or sucanat
4 medium cloves fresh garlic, pressed (or ¾ teaspoon dried granulated garlic)
½ teaspoon each: seasoned salt, lemon-pepper, dried onion granules, and paprika
¼ teaspoon sea salt (or less if you prefer)

1. Cut the potatoes into ½-inch thick slices. Next, cut each slice into sticks that resemble the shape of French fries. Keep them as uniformly sized as possible so that they cook evenly.
2. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Place the potatoes along with all of the other ingredients in a large bowl. Using a rubber spatula, toss everything together very well so that the potatoes are evenly coated with the seasonings and oil.
3. Place the potatoes on a nonstick (or lightly oiled) cookie sheet, scraping all of the seasonings onto them with the spatula. Spread the potatoes out over the pan so that none are overlapping. Bake for about 10-15 minutes. Turn them over with a heat proof spatula, then bake for another 10-15 minutes or so (or until they are delectably browned on both sides). Serve immediately with any dip that makes you flip.

Serves 1-2; 30 minutes or under! GF/SF/Blue (according to the guidelines in Radiant Health, Inner Wealth)

PHOTO by Michelle McCluggage

11 comments:

  1. Haha,it's funny you just blogged this! I was complaining on FB about a bad veggie burger experience today!! Thanks for the wonderful tips =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've had sunshine burgers. they're okay. i'm not a big fan of most veggie burgers so take that with a grain of salt. most others i know who eat them really like them.

    now, i think i will make some burger'n'fries this weekend. yum, potato.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! XO

    p.s. Those oven fries are borderline "green!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tess,

    Thanks for the thumbs up. I do hope you will try our Sunshine Burgers. In general, the reviews are very positive. I look forward to hearing from you and would be happy to answer any questions you have about our products.

    Cole Jones
    General Manager
    Sunshine Burger

    ReplyDelete
  5. See Tess? That proves your celeb status! I'm not a fan of froz vegan burgers so much ever since I tried my hand at a few recipes for homemade. One has 1 c hemp seeds and the other is a falafel burger! I can't wait to try yours...the Deluxe Almond-Veggie Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Cole! I was very happy to be able to approve a veggie burger for my next book & yours was the only one that passed!

    And thanks Holly. Hope you like my A-V Burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm making these fries tonight for sure!! **drooling**

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm truly pleasantly surprised with your health blog. I wish you well in all your wellness endeavors. I love your own food versions. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is really informative one....

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete