A Dozen Kid-Pleasin' Healthy Snacks

Ever run out of ideas for what to feed your kiddo(s)? Me too. That's why I make lists like this. Although I personally have an absolutely wonderful, sweet 6-yr-old (oops, I mean 6-and-three-quarters), she's also incredibly picky. However, despite her annoying selectiveness, she still does love a broad range of healthy foods. So, if your little ones are anything like mine, I hope this will give you some inspiration to keep trying new foods...some of these ideas are very simple (you've likely already thought of them) and some are a little more unusual. But at any rate, have fun experimenting! Kids naturally love healthy food, so don't give up! Sometimes it takes a little work, but it's worth it. They're worth it. Usually, anyway.

The Delicious Dozen...Our Favorite Kid-Pleasin' Healthy Snacks:

1. Unsweetened organic applesauce sprinkled with cinnamon
2. Krazy Kale Chips (recipe is here on my blog) - my daughter literally goes ka-razy for these. It's out of control! For a video of my sous chef and I making these, please go here.
3. Plain nori (or pre-packaged nori strips), available in health food stores - my daughter's school mates actually beg her for these at lunch!
4. Parfaits (layers of berries, soy yogurt, and granola...preferably in a see-through glass or parfait/sundae cup for cuteness reasons). If you have Radiant Health, Inner Wealth, you can also try my recipe for "Love Bug Parfaits" which includes a recipe for homemade granola (as well as a yummy strawberry "cream" that can replace the yogurt).
5. Healthy, whole grain breads make a great snack for lunch or home. This recipe for Buddhaful Blue Cornbread is one of my daughter's favorites! As is this recipe for Rosemary Pumpkin Biscuits.
6. Sushi! I've never met a kid who didn't like nori rolls - I child you not. Here's a video of my daughter and I making inside-out sushi. Most kids I know like the following fillings: tofu, baby spinach, julienne-cut carrots, and toasted sesame seeds.
7. Mini-pizzas on whole grain english muffins are my daughter's new favorite mini-meal. We spread some organic spaghetti sauce on a halved english muffin, then top with some vegan daiya cheese and a little baby spinach. Bake at 400F until golden-brown on top (about 10-15 minutes). Yum!
8. Brown rice cakes. Seaweed and tamari are two favorites as they're flavorful and nutritious. You can even find whole grain, organic corn cakes in many health food stores. They're really good too, either plain or topped with a little fruit spread and/or almond butter.
9. These muffins were a big hit on one of my daughter's first grade snack days (we all take turns bringing snacks, and few parents bring non-junky ones). I was really surprised (and, yes, relieved) to hear that all of the kids loved and devoured them! No one seemed to notice that they were whole grain, vegan, and chock-full of serious goodness.
10. Fruit it up. Despite my girlie's pickiness, there isn't a fruit on earth she doesn't love. Try fresh, whole fruit, fruit salads, or fruit smoothies. Plus, the great thing about smoothies is that you can be a wee bit sneaky. Try pairing blueberries and kale, for example, as you'll get some great veggie power in there without sacrificing flavor.
11. Try jazzing up a salad with some kid-friendly dressing. This will make or break your chances of success. I've had good luck with poppyseed dressing, raspberry dressing, and other sweet dressings (go figure!). For kids who are still skeptical about salads, try wrapping interesting things in a lettuce leaf. For example, they may happily eat Romaine lettuce if it's wrapped around a few raspberries.
12. I've recently rediscovered the wonderful world of mochi. It's a pounded sweet brown rice that you can buy in packages in the refrigerated section of most health food stores. From there, cut it into small squares and bake it at 400F until very poofy (it's a word, right?). Sweet teeth like it best with a drizzle of agave nectar and sprinkle of cinnamon.

Giving your kids healthy snacks is a fun, delicious way to prevent illnesses before they begin! For more ideas on prevention, check out The Kathleen Show's Prevention Not Prescriptions Tuesdays.


Hope these ideas gave you some inspiration to keep your little ones (and yourself!) healthy. Be happy and I'll see you next time. Thanks so much for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. kid friendly? ha, these are EVERYONE friendly. i love how many are remakes of classice kid foods. i remember making "bagel pizzas" as a kid. of course, today they would be much better for my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny - I was thinking that as I was writing these! I of course have to have those little pizzas right along with the kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parfaits, smoothies, and fruit are what my s-son goes after. DD makes pizzas and snags an apple or banana, but never both. I'm going to refer to this list for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really different but very attractive to the kids. Keep it up Tess. :)

    ReplyDelete