Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Holiday Waffles (or Pancakes)
Just because you want to be healthy and trim doesn't mean you should deny yourself the good eats! And here is just the example. These waffles are high in fiber, low in fat, and absolutely delicious. For those of you who prefer pancakes, this recipe doubles just fine as a pancake recipe.
2 tablespoons ground flax (flaxseed meal)
1/4 cup boiling water
Nog it Off:
1 cup vegan eggnog (such as Rice Nog or Soy Nog--available in most supermarkets and health food stores)*
1/4 cup pureed squash or pumpkin
How Dry am I:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon each: sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
1. Place the flaxseed in a medium bowl and stir with the boiling water. Allow it to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes so that it becomes gooey.
2. Stir the eggnog and squash into the flegg mixture until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, calmly ignoring the sad attempt at humor. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until well combined, but do not overmix.
4. If you're making waffles: Use the batter according to the directions on your waffle maker. You'll want to make sure it's hot enough and sprayed lightly with oil to prevent sticking.
5. If you're making pancakes: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. If you don't have a truly nonstick pan, you may need to spray or lightly coat the skillet with oil (coconut or non-virgin olive oil being the best choices).
6. When the pan is hot, drop the batter onto it to form what could resemble a pancake. Do this again and again until you have several pancake-type formations on the skillet. When they are very bubbly on top and browned on the bottom, flip over and cook the other side. When both sides are nicely browned, remove to a plate. Repeat until all of the batter is gone. Serve hot, with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, applesauce, or agave nectar.
*If you can't find vegan eggnog, you can simply substitute the nondairy milk of your choice.
Serves about 3
SF/Blue/30 minutes or under!