Glorious Beets


Beets make me happy. The kind of happy that makes me want to hum in my kitchen and tell stories about my grandma. Why? For starters, I love any food that's so upfront about its nutritional value that you feel vitamin-y (not a word, don't look it up) just looking at it. Beets do that to me. Their earthy, vibrant essence just feels so nourishing. They're high in iron, calcium, and vitamins--plus, as their color would indicate, they work well for enriching and purifying the blood.

Just last night, my daughter and I made some memories in the kitchen as I introduced her to my passion for beets. She patiently watched them boil and then helped me peel them. And, once they were happily pickled in a glass jar, we stood there and admired them. They just looked so darn purty!!

So, today I thought I'd share my simple technique for pickling beets. The ingredients are completely simple and the results are nutritious and tasty. For more ideas on what to do with beets, you can also sign up for my FREE newsletter on my website--this month, I'll be featuring beets and root veggies. Ah, Autumn. Such earthy goodness!

Super Simple Pickled Beets of Happiness:
1. Get yoself some beets. Preferably some organic ones.
2. Wash them and place in a large pot. Cover well with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until a knife inserted in a beet proves it to be tender. This usually takes about 20 minutes.
3. Rinse under cold water.
4. Peeling the beets can be done in two ways: One, you can use a vegetable peeler or small knife. Otherwise, if you have cooperative beets, you can just eliminate the outer skin of the beet with your fingers, using a highly advanced "smooshing" technique.
5. Slice the beets thinly and place in a container (I like to use glass jars). From here, you can have fun with vinegars. I like to use healthy vinegars and mix them up for fun. Last night, I used a little umeboshi vingegar mixed with apple cider vinegar. However, usually I just use plain apple cider vinegar. Fill the jar about halfway up with vinegar and top off the container with pure water. You want a pickling solution of half vinegar, half water. Ish.
6. Let the beets sit overnight or for several hours before consuming. They will last for at least a week, but probably much longer. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. i am making these this week. i have beets! i am very excited.

    have you tried to make raw pickled beets? humm... i love me some fermented veggies and they are good for you. have you tried making any of those? my macro books talk about fermented/pressed veg but very few recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I haven't tried to make raw pickled beets, but you read my mind! It is on my to-do list fo sho! After I finish my big daddy half gallon of beets & get back from my travels, I'll do some experimenting!

    ReplyDelete