Vegan Flax-Yogurt Superfood Pancakes (yum)


YUM. I thought I was totally set for life with pancake recipes, as I have two in my book, Radiant Health, Inner Wealth. However, just this month, I've developed a new, yummy, simple recipe that I absolutely love. Why the enthusiasm over a mere pile of pancakes? Well, for starters, they're vegan, which means that they contain no cholesterol and are higher in iron. I also love that they are so rich in fiber, Omega 3s, and contain all the tummy-loving benefits of fresh yogurt (I like to buy Nancy's plain soy yogurt by the case from my local health food store). Plus, they come together very quickly and are really satisfying. And, yes, yummmmmy.
Vegan Flax-Yogurt Superfood Pancakes

2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
3 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup vegan yogurt, plain or vanilla
1 cup each: almond milk and whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon each: baking soda and vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Place the flaxseed meal in a medium mixing bowl & pour the boiling water over it. Stir and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes, or until gooey. Real gooey.
2. Stir in the yogurt and milk until well combined.
3. Stir in the flour and salt until well combined.
4. Stir in the remaining ingredients until, yes, well combined.
5. Heat a large skillet (I use iron) over medium-high heat and spray or coat with a little oil (I use non-virgin olive or coconut).
6. Once the skillet is hot, pour out a little of the batter onto it, in shapes that resemble pancakes. Or little bunny heads.
7. Flip each pancake over when the underside is brown (it will be a little dry around the edges & bubbly on top). When both sides are gorgeously golden-browned, remove to a plate.
8. Serve with pure maple syrup or fresh berry syrup (if you have Radiant Health, Inner Wealth, these are great with some of the Blueberry Citrus Sauce). Enjoy!!
I truly hope you enjoy this recipe--it's all part of my philosophy that food should be both nutritious and delicious!

8 comments:

  1. Tess: Do you have a recommendation for a vegan plain yogurt? This recipe looks fantastic, but the plain yogurt I've seen has lots of sugar and lacks that tart yogurt taste. I don't have a yogurt maker, so I'm hoping there's a company making an authentic plain vegan yogurt.
    Thanks, KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides the Nancy's yogurt that Tess mentions, that isn't available here, Wildwood makes an unsweetened plain soy yogurt. All the other flavors are sugar laden but the plain. I can't say anything about the flavor though. I don't like the stuff and have to hide it in things like this to get it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Kathy! I didn't see your comment until now. I fully recommend the Nancy's brand, as they use really nutritive, fresh ingredients and it's got a nice tartness (vs. over-sweet flavor that most soy yogurts have).

    I would check into the Wildwood plain too (if you can't find Nancy's), as it's got the 2nd best ingredients.

    I just made these this morning & was reminded how yummy they are! And Laura, you can't really taste the yogurt - it just adds the moisture. So I think you'd love em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made these, and they are good. The yogurt makes them fluffy. I prefer them with the magic pancake mix though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These did NOT turn out for me. Stuck to a well greased cast iron skillet and ended up mush. Don't know what happened but yowsers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's odd. Sorry that happened!! They've always turned out great for me. Perhaps a fluke??

    ReplyDelete
  7. At about 1/2 cup of flour this mix was pretty thick -- do you really use a full cup of flour and if so, how do you get to "spread" in the pan??

    ReplyDelete
  8. As far as the flour, it seems to vary with the type of flour and also the kind of soy yogurt used. Last time, I actually had to thin my batter with a little nondairy milk! If you have a batch that seems thick, just thin it a bit and it will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete