Quinoa Treasures Bowl


Yum. The delicious goodness of quinoa. This grain-like food is energy building and contains high amounts of calcium, protein, fiber, and vitamins. It is also quick and easy to prepare, delicious, and an immune-boosting whole food. So, what do you do with it? Personally, I love to eat it cooked, just with a little earth balance (vegan non-hydrogenated margarine) and sea salt for total comfort food. Otherwise, if you want to jazz it up a bit, there are yummy recipes like "Moroccan Quinoa" from my book, or this one--inspired by an idea from Mike Lieberman, green living expert from the Examiner. I hope you enjoy this concoction, and please feel free as a bird to experiment! I've only made this once (unlike the recipes in my book that have been perfected to death), but I really enjoyed it. In fact, I woke up this morning craving it! But unlike unhealthy cravings, this was my body saying "Gimme some more of the good stuff! I want to thrive!"

Hope you enjoy, and keep the great ideas coming! I always welcome your feedback and suggestions.

Quinoa Treasures Bowl


Quinoa:

1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained

2 cups water, preferably filtered

Treasures:

The segments and minced zest of 1 organic orange

2 tablespoons each: raisins and sliced kalamata olives

3-4 tablespoons thinly sliced and chopped red onion

1 teaspoon each: fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil

¼ teaspoon sea salt

Optional flair:

a few random pistachios, shelled



1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a covered pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer (partially covered) until all of the water has been absorbed—this will usually take about 20-30 minutes.

2. Toss the quinoa with all of the treasures and stir well to combine.

3. If desired, top with some pistachios. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to two days.



SF (soy-free)/GF (gluten-free)


This recipe is coded “Green” according to the guidelines in Radiant Health, Inner Wealth.

3 comments:

  1. This really spices up the more generic recipe for quinoa I've been using! The orange segments and pistachios not only add flavor but even more nutrients to this already amazing grain.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about Quinoa lately, as it seems to be such a nutrition power house, but the only place it's sold in my little town, is in the bulk section of my HSF, so I had no idea how I was supposed to cook it. Thank you for this recipe, sounds delish and now I have insentive to finally try this healthy grain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thumbs up, ladies! Feel free to let me know what else you'd like to see on this blog--it gives me inspiration to hear from my readers!
    Thanks so much! XO

    ReplyDelete